Saturday, November 7, 2009

Where it wild things aren't


So I saw the following in a article about a interview given by the author of the "beloved" children's book when reading through my my google reader the other day:


Reporter: “What do you say to parents who think the Wild Things film may be too scary?”
Sendak: “I would tell them to go to hell. That’s a question I will not tolerate.”
Reporter: “Because kids can handle it?”
Sendak: “If they can’t handle it, go home. Or wet your pants. Do whatever you like. But it’s not a question that can be answered.”


Um yeah, so I never really read this book as a child but I have thought it had a cute premise when I read it to my nieces and nephews. However I have to say when confronted with the authors obvious callousness to children one struggles to see why he would write a children's book in the first place. I know that as a child I was one who would get scared very easily in movies and a honest dialogue about appropriate ages and parental discretion would have been advisable for many movies I saw. However since Mr. Sendak does not want to have that conversation and in keeping with his general attitude I will stay home, not wet my pants, and do whatever I like instead of seeing his movie. I am sure his pockets are so deep he can't find the bottom of them but I feel a small sense of satisfaction that my coin will not be inflating his pockets for either his movie or is book ever.


If you what to see the full article you can go here:



No comments: